Sneak in loads of veggies in these homemade sausage rolls
This vegetarian sausage rolls recipe is honestly one of the yummiest things I have ever made. Loaded full of hidden veggies, these homemade sausage rolls are not only delicious but are also gluten free and packed full of nutritious ingredients like hemp seeds, zucchini, lentils and carrots.
These are perfect for kiddies lunches or even the fussiest of meat eaters. It is ironic, my partner owns a couple of butcher shops in Sydney and they now use this recipe for their vegetarian sausage roll options! The parents love being able to sneak in the extra veggies into their kids diets, and trick their partners into thinking they are eating a meat sausage roll too.
Make a big batch for a quick and easy meal:
I love to pre-make a big batch of these vegetarian sausage rolls and pop them in the freezer. You can do this two ways, cook and freeze or freeze uncooked. I find freezing them uncooked is the better option. It keeps the sausage mixture moist and the pastry flakey when you cook them, but it is up to you!
If you are going to freeze them uncooked, don’t put the egg wash on, and freeze them on a tray first, then once frozen, transfer to a container.
If you don’t eat them all, you can easily pop the un eaten ones into the freezer and re heat them for another day.
Healthy Vegetarian Sausage Rolls Recipe:
- 1 brown onion, roughly chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 1 grated carrot
- 1 grated zucchini
- 1 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 cup quinoa flakes (or almond meal)
- 1 cup hemp seeds
- 1 tin lentils (drained and washed)
- 1 heaped tablespoon paprika
- 1 heaped tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili flakes (can omit for kiddies)
- Salt and Pepper
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 egg, whisked in small bowl
- Nigella seeds or sesame seeds
- Gluten free puff pastry, thawed
You will need:
- Food Processor
- Small bowl for egg wash
- Baking tray w/ baking paper
- Pre-heat your oven to 220 degrees fan forced
- Sauté your onion and garlic in olive oil, in a pan until just cooked.
- Transfer onion and garlic into a food processor, add the remaining ingredients into the food processor, blitz until just combined.
- Once your puff pastry is thawed, it is time to start assembling the rolls.
- Cut your pastry sheet in half (depending on how big the sheet is)
- Line your pastry up, and spoon the mixture into a log across the pastry,
- Roll the pastry over mixture and press down sides so the mixture is snug
- Wash the top of the now formed rolls with the egg wash
- Sprinkle with nigella or sesame seeds and salt.
- Cut your log with a serrated knife into your desired size.
- Continue along until all of your filling is used up.
- Pop in oven for approx. 25-30 mins (until the pastry is nice and golden brown)
- After the sausage rolls have finished in the oven, let rest for for 2-3 minutes
- Serve with my homemade tomato sauce
What are vegetarian sausage rolls without a sauce to go with it? Click here for my homemade tomato sauce.