This easy homemade tomato sauce recipe is a great alternative to that sugar loaded ketchup you get from the supermarkets. Did you know that your normal supermarket bought tomato ketchup has over 25% sugar in it? So 1 tablespoon of sugar equates to 4g sugar. Now tell me, when has 1 tablespoon for a packet of hot fries ever been enough? 1 tablespoon of tomato sauce with a bowl full of fries just isn’t enough to cut it, period.
So to put that in perspective an original glazed donut from krispy kreme has 22% sugar in it. How much sugar do you think you drizzle over a sausage roll or fries?
When it gets explained in that way, you’re really eating a bowl of potato and sugar with tomato flavour or a sausage roll and sugar. Not appealing right!
So not only does this homemade tomato sauce have no added sugar in it, it’s also very easy to make and your kids or partner won’t ever be able to tell the difference.
You can keep it in your fridge in an airtight container for a week or so.
Easy Homemade Tomato Sauce Recipe
- 1 garlic clove crushed
- 2 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 cup tomato passata
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 heaped tablespoon onion powder
- Salt to taste
- Pinch of Pepper
- ¼ cup olive oil
- In a saucepan, sauté the garlic in the olive oil until just before brown.
- Add in the remaining ingredients.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Cook over a low heat for 20-45 minutes.
- The longer you cook, the more flavoursome it becomes so 20 minutes is the least amount of time I would put it on for!
- Pop in an airtight container.
- Keep in the fridge.
I personally don’t make this very often for myself. But it is great to make when you know your having people over and serving finger food like my homemade sausage rolls (name a more iconic duo, i’ll wait) or if you have a kids birthday party as their is no ‘sugar high’.