“There is something so special about tucking into a warm creamy bowl of rice pudding in the middle of winter. It quite literally can warm your soul”.
This slow cooker rice pudding coconut milk is made using well, rice, coconut milk and patience. The end result is a creamy beautiful pudding that you can pop on overnight and wake up to the most heavenly smell filling your house and then your belly.
This slow cooker rice pudding recipe has no refined sugar and uses plant milk rather than cows milk. So it’s great for those who have intolerances or allergies. The recipe only needs 6 base ingredients, and you can play around with the toppings depending on what tickles your fancy.
My partner especially loves his rice puddings, but what I don’t love about rice puddings is the amount of sugar that normally accompanies them.
One of my fondest memories of us eating rice pudding was actually in Paris. Right next to le Louvre, after a huge meal, we decided that we couldn’t leave without having dessert, so we opted to share. What came out was quite literally the largest serving of rice pudding I have ever seen. It was creamy, delicious and everything we could have hoped for, but afterwards I felt so sick from the amount of sugar I had consumed!
Nothing that a long walk home couldn’t fix though.
Now this is just the base recipe, but there are literally hundreds of different toppings and flavours you can add to this. In Paris we had chocolate and candied hazelnuts, in Singapore it was had lime, coconut & mango and then you have the classic raisins and vanilla.
Some healthier and easy topping suggestions for you can be:
Shaved dark choc and crushed cashew
Caramalized banana and coconut
Raspberries and coconut cream
Almond Butter, toasted almonds & berries
Slow Cooker Rice Pudding Coconut Milk Recipe
- 1 tablespoon of melted coconut oil
- 200g rice (brown, quinoa & rice blend, white)
- 1L plant based milk (I used a combo of coconut and almond)
- 1 heaped tablespoon vanilla extract (or 1 vanilla pod deseeded)
- 1 heaped tablespoon mixed spice
- 1 heaped tablespoon rice malt syrup
- 1 Cinnamon quill
You will need
- Rinse your rice under cold water.
- Lightly grease the inside of your slow cooker with the coconut oil
- Pop all ingredients into the slow cooker, stir to combine throughly
- Cook on low for 4 hours or high for 1.5 – 2hours.
- Check halfway through the cooking process, give it a good stir, if it needs more liquid, add in some water or additional plant based milk.
- Serve with one your favourite toppings!
Yum!! I had never thought about doing rice pudding in slow cookers – would quinoa work too?
It sure would! You may need to adjust your liquid ratio slightly though x