“The Once Every-So-Often Ice Cream”
I am obsessed with ice-cream, my stomach on the other hand, not so much. I have tried so many different variations of dairy free ice-cream, this recipe being one of my favorites! This healthy dairy free ice cream is a (healthier) treat to be enjoyed by yourself or with your loved ones.
This little dessert, is not an ‘every night’ kind of dessert, but should be more of a treat every now and then. It is super easy and firms up within hours. I have dubbed this “Proyo Ice-Cream” (Protein Coyo ice-cream) I have made it a couple of times now and have made so many variations. Get creative! Think: Peanut Butter Cacao Proyo, Vanilla and Macadamia Proyo and my fav, Berrylicious Cacao Proyo.
So a healthy dairy free ice cream sounds too good to be true? Trust me it isn’t!! To make ice-cream in my household you don’t need any fancy ice-cream makers (although I do have one!), all you need is some good BPA free containers and a freezer.
THE GOOD STUFF
Coconut is a pretty heavy player in my day to day cooking, from the flesh (meat) to the water, I am (some would say) obsessed. Two of my top favorite things about the health benefits of coconuts are:
- It helps to improve your digestion and also helps your body absorb vitamins, nutrients and minerals.
- It helps to improve your insulin secretion and is great for those who have diabetes!
Cinnamon is another thing that I adore adding into most of my meals (goes oddly well with a bit of chicken too!)
- Again, good for Diabetics. Cinnamon can help to reduce blood pressure and also can help to have a beneficial effect blood markers for Type 2 Diabetics.
- It is also full of healthy antioxidants
- This one is a little left of centre: however, cinnamon has been studied to help aid with the treatment of those who suffer from ADHD, read more about this here.
- Aids with a healthy weight loss approach by lowing your blood sugar (so with a healthy diet and active daily exercise regime if weight loss is on the cards, then start sprinkling this on your food breakfast lunch and dinner!)
Healthy Dairy Free Ice Cream
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 4 hours
Total Time: 4 hours, 5 minutes
1 tub coconut yoghurt
4 heaped scoops choc protein (pea, rice, hemp is ok but not whey)
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla paste
½ cup frozen blueberries
½ cup frozen raspberries
¼ cup white mulberries
1 tablespoon goji berries
1 banana (mushed)
1 tablespoon melted coconut oil
1 tablespoon cacao
- In a large bowl, empty the coconut yoghurt and protein powder, mix until well combined. Then chuck in all of the other ingredients.
Put in a freezer safe container and leave for 3-4 hours
When serving, if you want to get a little bit fancy, melt the coconut oil and cacao until a ‘sauce’ is created, then drizzle over and top with your favourite toppings.