Who doesn’t love the smell of roasted garlic coming from the oven?!
Ahhh my good old Roasted Garlic Hummus Recipe is something that is permanently in my fridge. I am a chronic snacker. Working from home has its pros and cons… and to be honest, I am not sure which category to put my snacking habits into. On the plus side, if I get myself organised with my prep and plan my meals, I have a foolproof way of staying on track with eating healthy nutritious meals all day long. One of my biggest issues I find it when I am in and out of meetings, no time to grab lunch or a reasonably healthy snack, and the 3pm hunger slump hits. Look out hangry Krumble. Now, this doesn’t happen all too often, I am human, things happen, meetings get rescheduled and it just can’t be avoided.
What I look for in a ‘snack’ is something that is low GI, reasonably high in protein, I will feel full but not bloated and most of all something that I will enjoy eating. I am a firm believer that if something isn’t pleasant to eat, your brain will play tricks on you and your satisfaction level is pretty low.
This Roasted Garlic Hummus Recipe is one of my favourite go to snacks.
This recipe is vegan, dairy free, extremely low GI, high in protein (from the chickpeas) and packed full nutritious ingredients that will help you feel good from the inside. So next time you are grabbing that store bought hummus from the supermarket, pick up your phone, get this ingredient list out and whip up a big batch, I promise you it’s much more rewarding!
Hummus isn’t just a dip thing (although give me some green beans, celery and some carrot and I am set), I love making a tahini hummus dressing, a poached chicken hummus salad (think asparagus, ribboned zucchini, cucumber, pine nuts, rocket, pomegranate), the list goes on and on and on!
Roasted Garlic Hummus Recipe
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
1 whole bud of garlic
1 teaspoon tahini
1/4 cup extra virgin / cold press olive oil
1 can organic chickpeas (drained and rinsed)
2 lemons (juice of 2, rind of 1/2)
Pinch of sea salt & cracked pepper
2 tablespoons flaxseed oil
1 tablespoons water
- Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees. Roast the garlic cloves (whole and unpeeled) with 1/2 tablespoon of olive oil for 15-20 minutes.
- Once cooked, let it cool down, then squeeze the garlic out of the skin into a food processor
- Combine garlic with half of the lemon juice, tahini, rind, salt/pepper, chickpeas and blitz until just combined.
- Slowly add the flaxseed oil and olive oil until you reach your desired consistency (add the water if you want a super silky smooth finish).
- Taste, and season with lemon and if needed add more salt and pepper.