Turn things upside down this year by serving this healthier version of the Iconic Aussie Lamington
This healthy lamingtons recipe was originally going to take shape of lamington cake pops, however, when opening my fridge this morning and seeing a jar of my delicious raspberry chia jam I knew I had to keep it old school and keep these non traditional lamingtons, rather traditional.
Ahhhh…The iconic Aussie lamington has been around since the 1900’s and has even had an official day created to celebrate all things lamingtons. Albeit a little heavy on the sugar & gluten side of things, these little pillowy morsels of chocolate coated sponge cakes have made a regular appearance on the shelves in the Supermarkets and family homes for decades.
Those were the days when I think back to my childhood and my gran and I would spend hours picking raspberries from the trees and make jars upon jars of decadent tangy jam.
Trying to steer clear of flour and sugar for this recipe, I have made my sponge using ingredients like cashews and coconut butter amongst other things to give it a moist almost spongy texture. While still keeping it raw and nutritious. I then go and layer the sponges with my chia jam to add a bit of sweetness to the nutty centre, To finish it all off, dunk these bad boys in ‘raw’ chocolate and roll them in yet again, more coconut.
Cashews are a substitute for the traditional flour and baking powder sponge, they are high in vitamins, antioxidants and minerals, they also have a low fat content (which is good considering that coconut is the next main ingredient!)
Coconut butter and coconut are a full of good fats that help lower your bad cholesterol raise good cholesterol which leads to a healthier heart.
My Healthy Lamingtons Recipe
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 2 hours, 30 minutes
Total Time: 2 hours, 50 minutes
Serving Size: 4
- 4 cups raw cashews
- 1 ½ cup desiccated or shredded coconut
- 2 tablespoons coconut butter (recipe here)
- ½ cup rice malt syrup
- ¾ cup coconut cream
- Check out our recipe here.
- ½ tablespoon cacao (cold pressed if strictly Raw)
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- ¼ cup rice malt syrup
- 1 pinch of himalyan sea salt
- 1 cup desiccated coconut
- Blitz in a food processor cashews until they are broken down into a crumb like size, add in all of the remaining ingredients and pulse.
- Don’t blitz too much, you want it all to just come together and work it with your hands into the trays.
- Line a tray with baking paper, and spread out your mixture. Depending on how tall you want your lamingtons to stand will determine what height you spread the mixture out (I gave myself about 1-2cm so I would have a nice tall lamington).
- If you are all about portion control, make these smaller in height so you get less in one serve!
- Pop in the fridge to let the sponge set for approx. 1-2 hours.
- Check out our recipe here.
- Melt your coconut oil (if raw work the coconut oil until liquefied) and mix remaining ingredients into a small bowl.
- Cut your sponges into equal portions. Line a tray with fresh baking paper. Dip your individual squares into the cacao mixture and leave bottom side naked. Dunk your cacao sides into a bowl full of desiccated coconut and coat evenly. Pop back into fridge for 30 minutes so the cacao can set.
- Once set, spread your jam onto the naked side of the lamington, and pop on top of the paired square. Repeat until all of your squares have matching buddies.
- Best served straight out of the fridge!
- If you aren’t strictly raw and vegan, to make this Healthy Lamingtons Recipe a little less bitter (with the cacao) melt dark chocolate and dip your sponge straight into the melted pot.