This Flourless Spiced Orange Almond Cake is honestly one of the best gluten free cakes I have ever made!
With Christmas just around the corner, I thought it was about time that I shared this delicious Flourless Spiced Orange Almond Cake Recipe with you! Not only is this cake moist, delicious and gluten free, by replacing sugar with rice malt syrup, it is refined sugar free too. Inspired by my recent travels to both Spain & Morocco (which you can see here) !
The beauty with this Flourless Spiced Orange Almond Cake is that it is literally perfect for any occasion!
You can have it warm in Winter, or at room temperature for a summer lunch. I love to play around with the spices too and it works perfectly with poppy seeds for an Orange and Poppy Seed Flourless cake too!
Flourless Spiced Orange Almond Cake Recipe
500g blanched almond meal
1 heaped teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground cardamom
5 large free range eggs (separated)
½ cup rice malt syrup
2 oranges (zest & juiced)
1 teaspoon almond extract
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Coconut oil for greasing springform cake tin
1 heaped teaspoon Natvia (or similar)
1 heaped teaspoon tapioca starch
- Preheat your oven to 170°C
- Grease and line your springform cake tin with coconut oil or good quality olive oil (or line tray with baking paper)
- In a bowl or stand mixer combine the wet ingredients (rice malt syrup, ¾ of the orange zest, orange juice, egg yolks, lemon zest, almond extract & vanilla extract)
- In another clean dry bowl whisk (or use something like a KitchenAid) the egg whites until soft peaks start to form
- Combine the dry ingredients (almond meal and cinnamon) into the bowl with the wet ingredients
- You want to add in ¼ of the egg whites to the cake mix to lighten the mix, then gently and slowly fold in the egg whites until combined (you want to take extra care with this part, so you keep the light “airy” consistency.
- Slowly pour into your cake tin, lightly zest some more orange on top and put in oven
- After 15 minutes turn the oven down to 140 and bake for a further 40 minutes
- Cool on a wire rack for 5-10 mins then remove from springform tin
- While the cake is cooling, in a small bowl combine the natvia and tapioca starch and sift on top of cake before serving!
*If you have an extra hot oven (or temperamental oven), place baking paper or foil on top of your cake half way through so you don’t burn the top!
* Be sure to turn your oven down after 15 minutes!!