Who doesn’t love a good slice of thick banana bread? – without the guilt
Most of us know that store bought or cafe style banana bread can be extremely high in sugar, carbs and fat. In fact, some slices can have up to 543 calories and 25g fat in 1 serve, packed full of white sugar and refined flour. I used to be a sucker for toasted banana bread at my local cafe, every Saturday morning back when I was in Real Estate, I would treat myself to this. However, it really wasn’t until I made a conscious effort to eliminate refined sugar from my meals, that I knew the first thing that needed to go was my Saturday morning (and a lot of other mornings) banana bread. For this exact reason is why I created a Healthy Gluten Free Protein Banana Bread Recipe.
The hunt for a guilt free recipe has taken some time to perfect. Using bananas as our secret weapon for sweetness, a good quality whey protein to boost our protein and almond meal to balance the bread with a subtle nuttiness flavour.
This can last for a few days in the fridge (if it lasts that long!), and is best served toasted in coconut oil.
Protein Banana Bread Recipe
3 free range eggs
1 free range egg white
2 large scoops of protein powder
¼ cup of melted coconut oil
2 extra ripe bananas (1 for wet mix/1 for top)
3 heaped tablespoons almond meal
3 heaped tablespoons banana flour
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon cardamom
1 tablespoon hemp seeds
1 tablespoon vanilla extract (or 1 vanilla pod with seeds scraped)
1 tablespoon gluten free baking soda
¼ cup of dark chocolate 80%*
* to make even more guilt free, opt for nuts instead
- Pre-heat your oven to 180 degrees fan forced.
- Line your loaf tin with baking paper or spray with coconut oil
- Combine all of your wet ingredients into a food processor (1 banana, vanilla, coconut oil, eggs) blitz for 1 minute.
- Add in your dry ingredients (excluding dark choc/nuts) blitz until well combined.
- Pour 1/2 of your bread mix into your loaf tin, tap down on bench to get rid of any air pockets.
- Melt the dark chocolate then slowly pour over the first half of the banana bread mix and marble with a knife.
- Add the remaining mixture in.
- Slice the remaining banana in half and place on top of mix.
- Pop in oven for 30-40 minutes or until skewer comes out clean
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool for at least 5 minutes.