The Mediterranean Salad Power House
This Roast Cauliflower and Chickpeas Salad is more of a side then a salad! It teams two power house nutritional foods together effortlessly in this Mediterranean inspired dish.
This can be served as a side to many different types of roasts meats or baked fish (my personal favourite), or can be served entirely as its own meal.
The 3 C’s
Chickpeas really don’t get the credit they deserve in my eyes. They should be included in the current trends as a ‘superfood’. They are a good source of protein, an excellent source of manganese and has high iron content which can boost your energy . Chickpeas are also rich in both soluble and insoluble dietary fiber which helps your digestion.
Cauliflower is an excellent source of Vitamin C, Vitamin K & Potassium.
Cumin boosts immunity with it’s abundance of iron, the presence of essential oils, vitamin C, and vitamin A & also lowers cholesterol.
These are just a few of the many health benefits these 3 goodies have.
Roast Cauliflower and Chickpeas Salad
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 18 minutes
Total Time: 23 minutes
Serving Size: 2-3
3 cups of dried chickpeas (soaked overnight) or 1 can organic can of chickpeas
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon cumin seeds (lightly toasted)
1 tablespoon coconut oil/macadamia oil/extra virgin olive oil
1 full cauliflower, broken up into little florets
1 large handful of rocket
½ brown onion
4 garlic cloves
salt and pepper
knob of parmesan cheese, aprox 50g (optional and if included, is not dairy free)
- Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees
- Toast the cumin seeds in a dry pan until fragrant.
- Steam the cauliflower for 8 minutes (or just before fully cooked)
- Roughly chop the garlic and onion, drizzle the oil in a heavy oven proof dish and place the onion, garlic and ground cumin in the oven for 5 minutes.
- Remove from oven and add cauliflower and chickpeas, coat in onion and garlic mixture.
- Cover with foil and bake for 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle cumin seeds on top.
- Serve with a handful of rocket
If you are not dairy free, give the salad a nice grating of parmesan cheese before putting it back in the oven to bake for 10 minutes. It will crisp and char up with the cauliflower and it compliments the dried herbs.