Leaky gut symptoms? what are they? If you have stumbled across this page, you may have recently been told (like I was) that you have leaky gut.
Well, grab yourself a green juice (much like me above) and take a seat.
Ask yourself this, do you suffer from any of the following?
- Food sensitives
- Weight gain
- Digestive pain
- Skin problems
These 9 warning signs could be pointing towards leaky gut symptoms. If left untreated, your body can start to shut down and create a whole array of long term health concerns.
Technically speaking, leaky gut is a condition where partially digested fat and proteins can seep through the lining of your gut, eventually making its way to your bloodstream, causing inflammation and allergic reactions. So if dairy or gluten is suddenly causing you havoc, it might not actually be that you have a permanent allergy or intolerance, it quite simply means that you need to work on healing your gut to alleviate the aggravation (hallelujah!!)
I highly recommend getting yourself to a naturopath or someone who specializes in leaky gut and take a leaky gut test. Mine was next level! It was very in-depth and be aware that they aren’t the cheapest things to do but they are one of the best ways to really figure out what is going on with your insides.
Another issue with leaky gut is that your absorption of minerals, vitamins and nutrients can be significantly reduced, making those vitamins you take and the healthy food you try and consume, almost (not always!) pointless.
So I may have leaky gut, what now?
You have one (or all) of the above symptoms, I would suggest you send yourself to the naturopath for proper testing. In the interim, or while you wait for your appointment, these are a few tips to help get the healing process started.
Keeping in mind that to heal your gut, you need patience and dedication. There isn’t a quick fix for this.
First, start by eliminating foods that have been triggering you, or suspect are triggering leaky gut symptoms. If you aren’t sure what is triggering you, google the elimination diet, and start from there.
You want to look for things that are going to cause inflammation to your gut, like:
- Refined Sugar + added sugar
- Refined flour / gluten
- Store bought dairy (goats is fine for me)
- Tap water
- Environmental toxins (you all know how much I love my toxic free living)
- Antibiotics (check with your GP or whomever has prescribed these for you, and do not stop taking them until you do so)
- Grains (sprouted is fine)
Secondly, replace with some good healing foods* such as:
- Bone broth (on the run quick & easy recipe here)
- Fermented veg
- Coconut products (coconut oil, kefir, butter etc)
- Healthy fats (avocado + avocado oil, macadamias)
- Hemp – hemp seeds, hemp oil & hemp protein
- Probiotics (in the morning)
- Digestive enzymes (with every meal)
* I want to put a disclaimer, it is important to check what your gut microbiome is up to prior to introducing these foods, as some things like fermented veggies and probiotics, might actually not be as beneficial as the media claims to be.
Lastly, learn to relax and appreciate the process. Healing leaky gut isn’t something that is done overnight. It is done over months (if not years) of patience.